Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 58


This morning I woke up to the news of Kenya. Joel Weaver informed me that thousands of individuals did not make it to work yesterday, or were late because of a new law that is being enforced. Kenyan police were instructed to crack down on defective matatu’s and busses. About 500 vehicles were impounded. Passengers were left stranded on the side of the streets. Here is a You Tube link on the news: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ8E4akN7yU
I contemplated taking a plane back to Mombasa instead of the bus line, just in case! The bus company I was going with probably would have been okay and within compliance, but I decided to take a plane because it was easier and safer.

Before the plane ride home, Mary and Joel Weaver took me to do more sightseeing in Nairobi. First Mary and I grabbed a cup of coffee. Then we stopped at a beauty shop to do our nails and hair. They did great work! Mary and I also stopped at a couple of stores. I was able to find some children’s books that will help me with the Super Saturday coming up next weekend.

Mary and I had a great time together. I loved seeing the city of Nairobi. There are many beautiful buildings, plants and trees. The traffic is extremely busy and the sidewalks are filled with people. While driving on the streets, Kenyans are walking down the lanes trying to sell items such as fruits, vegetables, sunglasses, maps and many more odd items. The city is similar to major cities in the US; however, there are slums plotted all around.

Mary and Joel dropped me off at the airport. I checked in and sat in the waiting room. When the time came I loaded up with the other passengers on the plane and set off to Mombasa. The flight home was perfect. George met me at the airport when I arrived in Mombasa. We took a taxi from the airport back to home.

I really enjoyed my day today!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment