Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day 12

My day was started at Crossroads Church. What an amazing church! I greeted guests this morning. Everyone is so personable and friendly. After service I mingled among the crowd. During that time I was asked out on a date! He seemed a bit nervous, but thoughtfully asked if I’d like to go to a Christian drama with him this evening. I kindly declined because I know nothing about him. However, it was a sweet gesture.

On another thought – I have 5 huge mosquito bites. They are swollen, itchy and painful! My heart sure does go out to the kids that have to deal with this in the villages. They have it much worse than I, because they don’t have the option to be protected from mosquitoes with nets or bug spray. They also don’t have malaria medication to protect themselves from sickness.

The Kenya group raised the idea to start a fund for mosquito nets for our kids in the centers. I think that is a fantastic idea. The children that get sick with malaria have difficulties during studying. They cannot learn in that condition. Malaria is a terrible sickness. According to http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=61000 Malaria is the number one killer in Africa. “Three million people die of the disease every year worldwide, most of them in Africa.”


The swelling has gone down quite a bit on my ring finger. Another one of the bites was 3 times this size on my other hand. Imagine a little child dealing with that all over his or her body and then getting sick. It's a sad thought! :(

4 comments:

  1. I can see that you are beginning to learn about all that goes on outside of the groups' visits. With your attention to detail and your love for these people, God has SUCH a willing disciple. God bless you and all your work there.

    I love and miss you but know that you are there doing what God wants you to do. He has given you a great heart for Kenya and those wonderful kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You heartbreaker!! How sweet though :) Did you opt to use bug spray this year since you were the tastiest of the group? I hope your finger gets better soon. That looks painful.
    I wear my necklace every day and think of you. Thank you for the earrings. You are so sweet. Do you need anything? Is there a way to get money wired to you if you need it? I just won the lottery in Nigeria, so if you want to swing by and pick up my millions, you're welcome to it! lol
    Love you girl!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure the guy asking you out on the date wasn't 'Mr. Discount'? He may have followed you to Crossroads! Your bites are huge--are those the ones you got on the safari?

    I've written a few posts on my blog--check them out. www.luannesblog.blogspot.com

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luanne, I Checked out your blog. It's fantastic. Keep on sharing your heart!I love you.

    Angie,I wear mine everyday tooooooo!!!

    Pat, thank you for the Encouragement!!!

    ReplyDelete