Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day 16


Today I went to Bomani and worked in the kitchen with the cooks. They are very hard workers. The kitchen staff starts work fairly early. They have to cook for over 150 kids. They are cooking and cleaning all day. When they make rice or beans they have to go through all of it to clean it out. Everything is made from scratch. These women are such solid workers. Their hands and feet look very strong and rough from their hard work. I am amazed by their uplifted spirits through all the hard work they do. These women are the real deal. They raise kids, work hard and remain grateful for what they have even though it is so little.

One of the lunch ladies was telling me about her very small house. She said that when it rains hard the water comes in through her roof. Everything gets wet. The children end up with nowhere to sleep because it’s wet everywhere. I tried to imagine what that would be like. If I had children that were awaken by a storm. If the stormy waters flooded through my roof into my entire house; the children would start to cry. They would be wet and cold. I would try to comfort my children with no success, because the discomfort would be a physical discomfort for the children. At that point I would be in tears because I would know that I could not provide for my child. I would surely hope that someone would come to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment