Saturday, October 3, 2009

Day 72 Juice store


I woke up early this morning, got myself prepared for the day and went off to Mtwapa to purchase juice for the upcoming Super Saturday. The store that is in Mtwapa sells the juice for a really good price. Paul met me at a gestation and then took me to the store. We had to wait for about 30-40 minutes for the soda to be delivered. A man riding a bicycle had about 240 juices strapped to his bike. He dropped them off by us. Then he went to get the rest of the juice. There should be enough juice now for this Saturday in Bomani and the following in Ingili.

After purchasing the juice I dropped Paul off and headed to Bomani. Allen met me at Bomani and got all the teachers together. We gathered to discuss the details of Super Saturday. I let them know how the day would run on Saturday. They seem happy to volunteer for the Super Saturday event!

When we were done discussing the details all the teachers gathered their students in the church so we could practice the songs they will be learning on Saturday. However, one small detail was missing. There’s no CD player. So, I pulled up the car. The kids came outside. Then I opened the car doors, put the CD in and cranked up the music. We practiced the songs a couple times. The children are such fast learners. The teachers were eager to learn the songs as well, so they can continue teaching it to the children before Saturday. One of the teachers had me play the song while she recorded it on her cell phone. Before I left Ann fed me a wonderful meal of ugali and peas. She made sure that the cooks made a special plate just for me.

I headed off to Ingili. Allen followed behind to meet me there. When I arrived one of the teachers welcomed me warmly. We went into the school office and waited for all the teachers to gather. Six of the teachers at Ingili are coming to help in Bomani this weekend. We reviewed all the details of Saturday. Similar to the response in Bomani, the teachers seemed ambitious to volunteer for this event.

On my way home I picked up some biscuits and paper at Nakumatt for the event. When I arrived home I grabbed the ink cartridge to buy black ink since the printer is low. However, the piece broke off on top of the ink cartridge. I went to the store to buy the ink and see if the printer would work. It does not. Then I took the printer into the shop that I bought the ink from. He sent me to a place nearby that can fix the printer. I took the printer into the shop. A man told me that his son fixes the printers and he is not in at the moment. Now I am waiting to see what happens.

As I was a bit discouraged about the printer today, George offered me some good advice. He said, “Kristen, don’t worry about the computer, worry about me. The computer is replaceable, I’m not.” As I thought about his words I understood what he was trying to say. It was a good reminder to not be overly concerned with things. When I am too concerned about ‘things’ (whatever that may be), I get worried or frustrated and in turn it is easy treat others around me with a little less attention because my focus is on the ‘thing.’ However, no matter what is happening around me the way I treat people is very important because I cannot replace a moment with a person; however, I can easily replace a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment