Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 67 Sweetest couple!


This morning I went to the church in Vipingo to see the children perform the songs they learned from Super Saturday. They did so well and looked so cute standing up there in front of the church singing the songs. The service was good. They even had a translator come up and speak English so I could understand. How thoughtful! There was a lot of music during service. Everyone was so joyful! I just loved it.


My friends Lesley and Chris were in town because they helped out with Super Saturday. They are have come from America to live in a village called Ribe for one year. Lesley is an English and Math teacher at a primary school. Chris is an engineer working on some projects in the village. They are a wonderful couple. I’ve had a lot of fun getting to know them.


Today after service I went with them to Ribe. We took a matatu to town (Mombasa), and then a bus took us the village of Ribe. It was about an hour and a half journey. Then we took about a 20 minute walk to their house. On the way to their house we passed by Lesley’s school. There were lots of classrooms filled with desks. Her class holds about 90 students. Then I saw the office of the school and one of the friendly workers greeted me. As we continued on the walk to the house we ran into some of their friends that live in Ribe. There was this sweet old man who lives in a hut made of mud. He was so happy and welcomed me so warmly to the community.

We came up to their house as I looked up it was on top of a huge hill. The stairs were a nice workout to walk up. When we came to the top of the stairs I saw the cutest little doggy! They call him Rhino. He just kind of hangs out by the house but has no owners. He was a little scared of me at first. When he heard me talking in my high-pitched tone (dorky, I know) calling him near, he wagged his cute little tail and came over to greet me. He’s so sweet!!! Then as my attention went to the beautiful scenic view they have on that hill. WOW! You can see very far out. It’s a breathtaking scene. Mombasa is an hour drive away and I could see the city from their house.


Visitors came to the house as we were about to leave for Chris’s soccer game. There were these two little girls with their mom. I hung out with them until they had to leave later on that night. Oh my goodness… They were so sweet, smart and fun! As we walked toward the soccer game one of the girls was teaching me a bunch of Swahili words. When we came back from the soccer game we sat on the living room floor and played card games. I taught them a card trick, two card games and some other fun things. They were like sponges! I could not believe how fast they learned things. They reminded me of my niece Taylor who picks up everything super fast and can teach whatever she learned to someone else that very day. They were bright like Taylor, helpful like Taylor, talkative like Taylor and loved learning like Taylor (boy, I sure do miss Taylor). I really enjoyed my time with these girls. I sure hope I can see them again. We just clicked really well. They did not want to leave to go home! I wished they could stay longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment