Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 56 the slums....


Paul Weaver took me to Nairobi today. Our first stop was at one of the many slums. We stopped in a couple of classes. The kid recognized Paul because some of them know him from Camp Lukenya. They smiled from ear to ear upon his arrival. Paul introduced me to a couple people and the classes. The children sang a special song for us. It was most precious.

This is the first slum I have seen. Before my visit, the closest thing I had seen to a slum was from the movie Slumdog Millionaire. My expectations fell short of just how difficult it must be to live there. I looked at a sweet little baby boy and girl standing outside alone. I saw darling faces of children in the classroom. I could hardly take in the reality of it all. These precious children have no choice but to live in the slum. Unfortunately, they have no choice of where they were born. Therefore, they are stuck in the slums with little chance to develop their minds and bodies to their full potential.

Many times I have asked myself… “Why was I so privileged to be born outside of poverty?” I’m no better, no worse than that child who was born there. My life is not more valuable or important than theirs, yet I have physical comfort and my words will be heard in this world while most of their voices will be hidden in the depths of poverty. Their voices are covered under a blanket that most won’t dare lift up to look under. After all, as I had thought for many years… it’s too difficult to conceive of the hardships they suffer. The problem of poverty is too big. How can one person actually make a difference? I can see now that one person can make a huge difference.

Here is a thought to contemplate: A rich man who is foolish will state his opinion loud and clear. His voice will be heard by the public and admired by many. A poor man who is full of wisdom will state his opinion loud and clear. His voice will not be heard by the public and his opinion will be dismissed.

I am humbled at the thought that it could have been me born into poverty. The thought brings a whole new level of gratefulness…




No comments:

Post a Comment