Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Day 55


I have an opportunity to visit Nairobi because of a wonderful family that I met a few weeks ago; Mary, Joel and Paul Weaver. They are missionaries that run Camp Lukenya. I was a counselor at their camp for about a week in August. Recently, I asked if it would be possible for them to take me on a tour of Nairobi. They welcomed me warmly. They are going to show me the city of Nairobi and the slums in Nairobi.

Here is a link to their Camp Lukenya website. The camp is an extremely well run operation and reaches out to so many youth. http://www.lukenyaministries.org/

This morning I woke up and made my final preparations for the trip to Nairobi. Michelle picked me up and kindly dropped me off at the busstation. I was not sure where to wait, so I just sat down on the steps of the purchasing office to wait for the bus. As I was sitting there, a man came up to me and showed me where the bus waiting station was. Since I did not know him, I confirmed this with a man at the busstation before I went into the waiting room. Not long after getting seated in the waiting station, the bus was ready to load. The bus was really nice. I felt comfortable and enjoyed the music, movie and TV shows they had playing. The bus trip started at 10am. I arrived at my destination around 5pm.


Joel picked me up at a stop near a University. Joel and Mary were very welcoming and showed me the nice room I’d be staying in. Mary took me on a four wheeler ride just outside of their property. We hadan amazing time! We saw giraffes, zebras, ostriches, gazelles, crowned crane birds and cows. There were a lot of animals out. When we saw the crowned crane birds, we stopped to take a walk. While on the walk we saw a few more giraffes. During our trip back we saw many more animals. I was so pleased! It was like a mini safari.

To view a picture of a crowned crane bird visit; http://www.kenyabirds.org.uk/crowned_crane.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment