Sunday, September 13, 2009

Day 54

During church service today I was helping out with Kids on Track as usual. After service was through, all the parents came to pick up their children. I started talking with David. He is one of the kid’s teachers during Sunday school. He said some encouraging words. When he found out I am leaving in October, he looked at me shocked and asked why. He thought I should stay longer. He said that me being there and helping out with the children is planting seeds. He assured me that the children have great memories and they will remember me, or anyone else that helpes out.

Listening to him say that was perfect timing because I have met so many kids that it’s been hard to form close relationships with many of them. I wish that I could. However, I know I’ll only be here for a little while. Building strong relationships requires time. Needless to say, his words of encouragement and gratitude went a long way.

I am reminded of a friend that helped me when I was a younger. Her name is Sandi Brown. She was an adult and I was a teenager. At this point of my life I was going through some difficulties. Besides that, the teenage years are awkward years in general. I remember Sandi as a gentle, kind and caring friend. She took the time to reach out to me and my sister by spending time with us and guiding us with her knowledge. The time she spent with me is something I will never forget. Having her for a friend made such a difference in my life. I really looked up to her and felt privileged that an adult would take the time to notice that I needed someone to turn to. I look back with so much gratitude towards her.

Thinking of this helps me consider how much it means to little ones or teens when adults reach out to them. To us adults it may seem small to notice and spend time with, have meaningful conversations with them; however, to that child or teen, it can change their lives. They will remember it forever. They will feel special that an adult cares to know about their lives.

Another thought to ponder was brought up when I was talking with Paul. We were on another jog today. At the end of the jog we started talking about water because of a nearby pond. He said that in some village's when people would see the pond water, they would be so happy because it’s water they consider to be clean. (It's water that I do not think is clean and would not swim in).

Paul said that the 1 liter bottle of water I was holding would be shared by an entire family. The water would go a long way. Water is a precious commodity. In many villages they would wait for a rain and use the water that puddles up in the dirt roads. That’s the only water they had available sometimes.

This sure does make me think of how much I take advantage of a precious gift. Usually I go to the sink and wash dishes without thinking twice about turning off the water between dishes. I take semi long showers. I drink a lot of water. Basically, I use water without even thinking of it. While some individuals have so little they have to wait for a rain to get water. They are thankful for that water, even though it may be dirty once it hits the ground. Some have to walk very far distances to find water. Then they have to carry it back home in whatever container is available.

WOW! Personally I’ve never had to struggle in such a way. However, I know I can be more appreciative and resourceful ~ Just from the thought of a lack of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment