Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 36

Another wonderful day at Vipingo… Simone and I went to Vipingo to spend time teaching the children songs, art and a bible lesson. We arrived with a warm welcome from the teachers and students. Class 1 responded very well to the message of creation. They were very interactive. Every child loved learning the songs. They learn hand motions to the songs very quickly. By the second time we sing the song, they know the words and motions pretty well. I’m very impressed. When I make eye contact with the kids and smile at them during the song, they are reassured that they are learning the song well. Their joyful returned smile lights up the entire room.

During break time today, I picked up the cutest little girl! We went to sit down next to some other girls. She stayed cuddled up in my lap. I had so much fun making faces with her, tickling her and looking at her beautiful face. A few children surrounded us to play with my hair. My hair is fun for them to feel.

They like spending time with a white person because it is out of the norm. It’s important for the children to know that people of a different color are really the same as they are. As Paul put it so eloquently, “I desire for our kids to just have in mind that in this world there is only one race and it is human race, and the only difference between human race is that there are good ones and bad ones.”

No comments:

Post a Comment