Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 3

Today has been another amazing day in Bomani. Kristi and I spent our time teaching the youngest class to brush their teeth with the new toothbrushes we gave them. Many of the children have teeth that are rotting because they do not have the means to keep their teeth clean.

We also played with play-do, markers and a dry erase board, dolls, bubbles and a large parachute. They were completely intrigued by all the cool things we did. This is out of the norm for them. Their eyes and smiles were full of exhilaration. They could have played with the bubbles all day and been completely happy with just that. They are not used to having so many ways to be creative and express themselves the way the children do in America. These little children appreciated everything we did with them from the bottom of their hearts. They were bursting with joy and eagerness.

I think Jesus wants us to feel the same way about him as those children living in poverty feel about the small gifts we give them. You see, these children have nothing. So when they are given something, even if it’s small, to them it’s huge and it means the world to them. We believers are similar. Our hearts are in poverty before Christ gives us the gift of eternal life. However, when we accept Christ into our hearts, we have everything we need to live an abundant life, regardless of possessions. Our entire eternity is secured. Our life on earth can be lived with peace and joy regardless of circumstance as long as our hearts and minds stay willingly obedient to his will. After seeing these children today, I ask myself…why am I not more grateful for what I have in Him? My heart can continually be filled with thankfulness because my life before Christ was a heart of poverty. I had nothing of true value. Now, my heart is full of Him. What a joy! 1Thessalonians 5:16-17 gives clear instructions, “Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for those of you who belong to Christ Jesus.” Since these are instructions to carry out, I know that it is a choice to be joyful, and thankful. The Bible would not give instructions on something impossible. If our life is lived in Him, anything is possible. Luke 1:37, “For nothing is impossible with God.”

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, my friend, for taking away the sadness in my heart because I'm not there with you. God has drawn me aside for His own reasons and I should be grateful. Thanks for the reminder.

    As for you, God is really working in you. I have NO doubt that you show His love to everyone you meet. Your writing this down in your blog will be a continual memory for you of the good things God has done and continues to do through all who do His will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kristen, Larry and I have been thinking of all of you...and all the wonderful times we had. We ran into Pat at the Zoo today...love to you and the group. Take care! Love, DeAnne and Larry

    ReplyDelete