Friday, January 22, 2010

Blessed by an Orange!

Today, I went for a rather long, yet refreshing jog under the Florida sun. When I was running for about an hour, I felt very dehydrated and tired and prayed to find a place with water because I was still far from home. As I looked on the roadside, I saw a small strawberry shop. I almost passed by, thinking they would not give me free water (I had no money on me), but my dry mouth convinced me to at least check. Thankfully, a nice gentleman offered me a fresh cold bottled water right away!

Drinking the bottle of water reminds me of a time when I was in Kenya, jogging. At that time I had bottled water with me and drank it when I was done. Pastor Paul was jogging with me and told me that people from some villages would gratefully make that size of bottle last for an entire family for a few days. WOW! That is just INSANE! But for some, it’s all they have. They do with the small amount of resources available.

After the water, I continued my jog, feeling refreshed. However, I was pretty tired, hungry and thirsty as the jog continued. In the distance, I saw an orange tree. The oranges looked so refreshing! I craved one immediately! As I was contemplating how wonderful the orange would taste, I thought of precious children around the world that suffer from starvation. If I wanted an orange that bad, even though I had eaten before my jog… I contemplated how much starving children crave food after not eating for days. There is enough food in the world to feed everyone to content; however, it’s not distributed that way. I am left again wishing food and water was equal opportunity for all.

At the end of my jog, I came into the house, guzzled more water, went to the fridge, took out the orange and ate it with delight!!! Oh my goodness, it was the best tasting orange, EVER! Yes, I was totally blessed by an orange. 

If you read all of this...As you go on with your day today, I hope you are reminded, as I was, just how blessed your life is to simply have water to use from the faucet and food to grab from the fridge, or cabinet. It’s such an amazing gift, which can be easily forgotten. <3

1 comment: